Dress Code and Uniform Policy
School Color Top:Red, White or BlueSchool Color Bottom:Navy Blue or KhakiNo jackets with hoodies will be allowed on campus.Student ID badges must be worn at all times and are part of the uniform policy.*NOTE: The selected uniform or a generic option can be purchased from a variety of sources, such as uniform companies, department stores, catalogs, etc.; and NOT limited to an exclusive vendor.Uniform Policy
José De Diego Middle School has a mandatory uniform policy. School-wide uniform policy will be implemented for your child’s safety. Student dress code will always comply with the requirements of Miami-Dade County Public School Board Policy 5511:
“A student who wears items of clothing which, because of fit, design, color texture, inadequate coverage, or some other factor, create a classroom or school disorder or distract the attention of another student or students in any class in session from the lesson being presented or from any other assigned school activity, or which create a safety or health hazard for any student in the school, shall be required to change the clothing to eliminate the disorder, distraction or hazard. Failure on the part of a student to do so shall result in disciplinary measures which may include suspension from school.”
5511 - DRESS CODE AND SCHOOL UNIFORMSStudents shall come to school clean and appropriately groomed and dressed. Students whose personal attire or grooming distracts the attention of other students or teachers from their school work shall be required to make necessary alterations before entering the classroom or be sent home by the Principal. Students who fail to meet the minimum acceptable standards of cleanliness and neatness as determined by the principal and as specified in this policy shall be subject to appropriate disciplinary measures in accordance with Policy 5500, and the Code of Student Conduct.Dress CodeA. This District dress code is intended to regulate the clothing students may wear to school based on the health, safety, and cleanliness of students, to minimize the distraction of students from classroom activities, to prevent disruption of a school program, and to reduce excessive maintenance of school property.B. The determination of what constitutes a safety or health hazard, or what constitutes a distraction of students from a classroom activity, or what constitutes a disruption of a school program or excessive maintenance of school property shall be made by the teacher, other District employee concerned, and the Principal.C. Disciplinary action may be taken to encourage compliance with the policy. Since the intent of the policy is not to inhibit or prohibit any student who is not in compliance withthe dress code from receiving the education to which they are entitled, no student shall be suspended from class or from school, expelled from school, or receive a loweredacademic grade as a result of noncompliance.D. Except for schools participating in a mandatory or voluntary school uniform program (see below), senior high schools desiring to establish regulations that go beyond or deviate from this District dress code must have them approved by the Region Superintendent and adopted by the Board. Individual school dress regulations must be submitted to the Superintendent prior to the opening of the school year for which the dress code is effective.E. Once a dress code has been approved by the Board, it need only be re-submitted if additional changes are made.
- All students will wear uniform style pants. The pants must be solid khaki or solid navy in color. Pants will be belted at the waist and extend to the ankles. All pants must be size appropriate. Cargo pants, sweatpants, exercise pants, stretch pants, and jeans (of any color) are not permitted.
- All students will wear uniform style polo shirts. The shirts must be solid white, solid navy or solid red in color. The shirts must also have a collar and sleeves. The uniform shirt must be size appropriate and either tucked in or hip length. The shirts may also have the school logo in the upper left-hand corner of the polo shirt.
- All students will wear size appropriate jackets/sweaters. Wearing the hood while on campus is not permitted.
- Only solid, plain, no design nor letters jackets are permitted. Non-compliance jackets will be removed, and parents/guardians will need to come and pick up the jacket.
- All students will wear closed toed shoes that are secured at the heel of the foot. Sneakers may be used.
- Hats, bandanas, scarves, gloves, shorts, skirts, capri pants, stretch pants and dresses will not be permitted. Writing, pictures, or designs of any kind on shirts, pants, or jackets are not permitted.
- All students will wear school, club, team, and other school sponsored t-shirts on specified days only which have been approved by the principal or the principal’s designee.
- All students must wear their ID badges while on school campus at all times.
- Belts must be solid in color. No large buckles or metal studs are permitted. No hanging chain swags or wallet swags are permitted.
- All students are always expected to comply with the José de Diego Middle School Mandatory Uniform Policy. Only items allowed in the dress code are permitted